The Clubs Ring of O-Community-WiC is on FIRE! We are actively assembling the team and working on identifying a list of clubs that cater to women and girls of all ages. The goal of the clubs ring is to connect all clubs, organizations, and meetup groups that work to further the interest and aptitude of women and girls in computing. We are targeting gender specific groups, but also co-ed groups that are supportive of the mission to get more females into computing.
The team is still assembling, but currently on board are:
- Sami Glass, a computer science student, organizer, mentor, and hacker (http://hacksu.cs.kent.edu/)
- Mary Jean Blink, CEO of TutorGen, Inc. (http://www.tutorgen.com)
- Keith Instone, a UX Professional and Co-Founder of Tech Toledo (http://www.techtoledo.com)
- Eva Bradshaw, a Regional Affiliate Manager at NCWIT (http://www.ncwit.org)
- Dr. Alina Lazar, Professor at Youngstown State University (https://www.csis.ysu.edu/)
The clubs ring is lead by:
- Dr. Bonita Sharif – an Associate Professor at Youngstown State University (https://www.csis.ysu.edu/)
- Shannon Whalen – Business Intelligence Developer and organizer of Akron Women in Tech (http://www.akronwit.org).
We need your fire to keep the ring spinning! By contributing your knowledge and passion to the cause of increasing the number of women in STEM fields, like computing, you are doing active work in changing the world.
Here is how you can help:
- Do you know of local clubs at the High School, Collegiate, or Professional level doing great things for women or girls in computing? We would love to connect with them!
- Do you have a great idea for a club, project, event, or blog that would work to increase ratio of women in the computing industry?
- Are you interested in volunteering some time to the cause? Drop us a note!
You can get in touch with us here, or spread the word to the clubs and females that would be interested and urge them to get in reach out. Stay tuned to this newsletter to get updates on our progress.